525,600 Minutes, of Which 109,200 Are Yours

Killer life or couch-ridden exhaustion? Your call.
As I wind down one of the toughest projects of my career, I find myself thinking of two things: I work entirely too many hours, and I miraculously have a pretty decent quality of life. I put my kids to bed at night, go running with friends, take the motorcycle or bicycle out on weekends, and generally keep the momentum up. Here's the breakdown:

Early morning: Get up early as hell to go running and get kids out the door
Morning, Afternoon, Early Evening: Work, work, work
Evening: Dinner, hang out with kids for an hour, walk the dog
10:00 PM: Freedom! Quiet! Work panic notwithstanding, here's the free time.

Weekends are better, but I only assume 10 hours per day of 'free' activity, since there are planes to catch, bills to pay, and dance recitals, softball/baseball games, and birthday parties. So... many... birthdays... I'm at Target almost every weekend buying some Journey Girl thing or Lego set to celebrate the birth of someone or other.

So... self-actualization in spite of the clutter of daily life? The secret: Kick television out of your life. There is no other way. Spending less time in bars is probably a good idea, but I have this thing about not trusting teetotalers.

In a broad sense, I carve out about 10 hours a week to read and another 8-10 to exercise. In the grand scheme of things, that's a lot of 'me' time for 50-60 hour workweeks and raising kids. Granted, the kids get the short straw, and I'm trying very hard to do better with my weekday parenting, but this isn't about them.

About that secret. Taking TV out of your life immediately flips the script. Instead of vapid consumer, your brain is going in the opposite direction; production. Thinking about your next move in life, solving work problems with the freedom from immediate crises, dreaming of where you want to go next, freeing up time to talk to your special someone, learn something, and in general, be a better you. All of this momentum, activity, and thought give you better depth and breadth to solve the work problems, run that fantasy sports league or Ragnar team, and frees up time to live life, instead of watching people on TV pull you down by showing the life you could have (or a sparkly Hollywood version of it), if only you weren't sitting passively in front of an LCD screen absorbing product placement.

Trust me- the only thing lost from eschewing TV is the ability to gab about GoT, NFL, or The Bachelorette at work or those awkward first few minutes of a plane flight. However, a quick glance at Reality Steve or a Google search will keep you up to date at a 'survival' level at the water cooler. Naturally, the subterfuge won't hold up if you're in the conversation too long, but it'll keep you out of the general ostracism that goes with being a non-TV watcher. Live well!

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Wall of Thanks

    The MetaMatrix

    Back to School (SWM Seeks Ninja 400)