Untimely Death

It seems we're getting to the age where we attend way more funerals than weddings. In the wake of my father-in-law's death in February, I lost a very good friend of mine who hadn't yet hit 40. An old soul, he and I clicked when we worked together around 2012 on a project in Virginia. Fast forward to 2020-21, and we were together again on a project in Indiana. After a lengthy hiatus, we un-paused our friendship and had a great time working hard on-site, then remotely once Covid hit. 

He was a genius in his work; a great writer, teacher, and mentor to anyone that he worked with. Our skills complimented each other perfectly. I was concrete, conduit, steel, and tech, while he was tech, network, server, and troubleshooter extraordinaire. With a couple of our other genius coworkers, there was nothing we couldn't build. 

I have no issue with death for folks of a proper age, but he was robbed. So many plans, things to explore, restaurants to visit, bourbon drinks to try, marriage, children, travel, and so many great conversations to be had with so many people over the years. In my heart, I knew he was a guy I'd work with again, visit when I was in L.A. on vacation, and would cross paths with once we were retired. I know this because we talked about it. We both live life with urgency. Tomorrow's promised to no one. Never stop learning and never lose sight of the prize of owning yourself and making the world a better place. 

I think about you nearly every day, Chris- your family, your girlfriend, and the world lost you entirely too soon. Make every day count and make sure we share and give back to the friends, family, and coworkers that make life wonderful and teach us so much. It's what he would have done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wall of Thanks

The MetaMatrix

Back to School (SWM Seeks Ninja 400)